Monday, January 13, 2014

Etiquette: Questionable Questions


Last weekend, I purchased Ruth Cullen's and Kerren Barbas' The Little Pink Book of Etiquette: A Civilized Person's Guide to Getting it Right on iTunes for my iPad.  I have to admit, I thought I was buying Jodi Kahn's The Little Pink Book of Elegance (which I did go ahead and purchase, too, after the fact.). Anyway, regarding The Little Pink Book of Etiquette, it was a quick read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

 

One thing that truly resonated with me was how to respond to those persons who ask very inappropriate, rude and downright nosy questions (the ones we generally don't want to answer).  I'm guessing you know the ones... Honestly, I don't think most people mean to be rude.  It's more likely they don't know how inappropriate their questions are (at least, that's what I'd like to think).


Cullen's and Barbas' recommendations for responding to inappropriate questions is to say one of the following things:
  • "Why do you ask?
  • That's a little personal, don't you think?
  • Wouldn't you like to know?
  • I'll forgive you for asking if you forgive me for not answering."
That last one is my fave, BTW!


My grandmother (the one of French descent) always had a great way of dealing with folks who asked inappropriate questions.  She'd look them squarely in the eyes and say, "I beg your pardon?"  She did so quite genteelly, of course (smile).

 Leather Jacket: Ashy of London (vintage)
Faux Wrap Top: Michael Kors (consigned)
Pencil Skirt: Macy's
Leather Belt: Target
Tights: Simply Vera Wang via Kohl's
Boots: Nine West
Earrings: Monet (vintage)
Sunnies: Firmoo
Handbag: Sole Society
Scarf: Thrifted
Leather Gloves: Target


How do you deal with questions from folks who break the rules of etiquette?  Would love to hear about it!

Joy and peace, T.