Friday, February 22, 2013

Art Journaling: An Exercise in Gratitude

An art journal collage serves as a sweet place to give gratitude!

It’s been one of those weeks—at least, workload-wise.  As much as I enjoyed having Monday off in observance of Presidents’ Day, I’ve been playing “catch up” ever since... 

Last evening, back at home, I carved out time with my art journal, and I’m really glad I did.  Afterwards, all seemed a bit lighter and brighter (smile).  This simple activity is one you may want to try--especially after a particularly (um) challenging day:
  1. Select a page from a magazine that “calls” to you.  Then, tear it out. (I actually chose two images and layered them as shown above).
  2. Using a glue stick, secure the image(s) into your art journal.
  3. Grab a marker (or so...) and write at the top of the page: Things I’m Thankful for Today:
  4. Then, freewrite your gratitude items.  Don’t judge yourself or censor; simply write away--listing everything you are thankful for that day.  
Featured below, are a few things I gave thanks for yesterday:
  • Hearing birds chirping and watching snow gently fall as I walked from the office to my car;
  • An evening visit to the salon for a wash + cut + deep condition;
  • Mark’s playful Facebook post, asking me out on a date;
  • The prospect of a weekend without anything on the calendar;
  • Deep breathing=grounding; and
  • Tabitha greeting me at the back door after work.
Art journal + gratitude = joy!

Joy, peace and happy Friday to you!  T.