Tuesday, March 27, 2012

An Artful Read


  
A few days ago, I finished finished a thoroughly enjoyable read of  Karen Karbo’s “How Georgia Became O’Keeffe:  Lessons on the Art of Living.” My quest to live life tickled pink includes reading to feed my mind, and this biographical account did just that!  Prior to snuggling up with this book, I knew very little about Georgia O’Keeffe, aside from the fact that I loved her artistic renderings of flowers.  It turns out that O’Keeffe was about as pioneering and free-spirited as they come! Which, I find to be remarkably endearing.  Her art was her passion and sole focus in life.  And, she lived her art on many levels.

Always, with the books I read, I seek personal growth.  I gleaned so much from this read; including these inspiring tidbits about Georgia:
  • She overcame many barriers; most especially as a woman seeking to establish herself as an artist about 100 years ago;
  • She was fiercely independent; carving her own career path and subsequently being celebrated for it;
  • She established her own rules for fashion, art and living;
  • She constantly redefined her art (on her terms!), and on some level, herself;
  • Although her floral paintings were the ones I originally knew her for, she painted many things (people, skyscrapers, bones, the New Mexico landscape…).  I even discovered, while reading this book, my personal favorite—“The Lawrence Tree.”  To view it, click here.  

I love Karbo's style of writing. She's uber witty and infuses life lessons into her work (I've read another book she authored, "The Gospel According to Coco Chanel: Life Lessons from the World's Most Elegant Woman" and loved it too!") .  

Has a book(s) fed your mind, recently?  Please share!  T.