Friday, March 16, 2012

Writing Rights


Writing rights. Sketch in your journal, pen a thank u note, email a longtime pal, craft your dreams on paper...and note the healing u feel.

One day last week, I came across a note page in the back of my daily planner.  Dated 12/16/09, it displayed the following hand-scrawled header: “Things I Can Do to Make Tomorrow Better.”  Below that, was this list:
  • Take a mid-morning java break;
  • Buy flowers for my office desk;
  • Take a walk at lunchtime;
  • Do yoga stretches at my desk;
  • Take a10-minute afternoon break to do deep breathing.

I honestly cannot tell you what precipitated the development of this sketch for a better day.  I can only guess on the day it was written, I had rushed from meeting to meeting (or task to task)—without taking any sort of dedicated break, and/or experienced duress over a looming, ever-expanding “to do” list. 

Here’s a probable scenario of what ensued as a result:  During a moment of sheer “Yikes!” I sought to work things out for myself.  My journal, generally, is the place where I do this.  Knowing this would not be accessible to me at work, I found the “notes” section in the back of my daily planner and began formulating a plan to make the next day better than the one I was currently experiencing.

Perhaps my actions were not as beneficial as a journal writing session (This is where I can truly get in touch with what’s bothering me.).  Yet, in a pinch, writing this list served its purpose.  It allowed me to create a solution for how I was feeling on the day my plan was written, AND essentially, (by doing so) enabled me to subconsciously identify the initial problem (culprit=not dedicating needed time to nurture myself).  Not bad!

Never underestimate the power of writing it down.  Writing, after all, rights. T.