Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Chic Done Cheaply


In my quest to live tickled pink, I constantly seek ways to creatively exude elegance—yet, do so in the most cost effective manner possible.  Today, I’m sharing with you some of my fave ways to achieve chic on the cheap.  I hope they serve to inspire you!

 
Wrap a long strand of vintage beads around your wrist and wear them as a bracelet. About a year ago, I purchased these from the gift shop of a local non-profit for $2!  I've done this with a long strand of faux pearls, too, and the effect is quite sumptuous!


Be bold and don plenty of bangles!  They add panache to whatever you’re wearing.  Most of the pieces I own were purchased in the $5-$15 range each, are vintage, and were found at a variety of places including antique stores, vintage clothing shops and Etsy.

For instant chic, wear a scarf.  This silk (Ginnie Johnson) scarf was bought at a vintage boutique for $7!  There are so many ways to wear a scarf: as a belt, tied in a variety of ways around your neck, thrown over your shoulders as a shawl, wrapped into a bracelet around your wrist, or secured prominently on a handbag.  Scarves are one of my favorite fashion “go to’s” as they are very French…




Belt it (blazers, sweaters, cardigans, blouses...)!  I use belts to pull most all of my outfits together.  This sweet little thing is leather (Liz Claiborne), and I purchased it at a thrift store for $1!




Pin up. I love wearing brooches as they are so incredibly elegant.  A couple of years ago, I picked this stunning black glass mourning brooch up at an antique store for $4!  This one I’ve attached to a jean jacket, but it would also look great displayed on a hat, lapel, dress, or scarf.




Throw on layers of vintage glass beads…ooh la la!  I started collecting strands of vintage glass beads about a year ago.  These milk glass lovelies are Monet, and cost a mere $6!  I recently bought them at a cute vintage apparel/antiques shop in Michigan. I especially love wearing this particular strand with black!


Borrow from the boys….shirts, sweaters, jackets; never mind if it’s slightly too big.  If it’s a good, quality piece that flatters you, wear it!  This fab men's Elgin diamond watch was purchased for $8 at a yard sale last fall.  After taking it to a local jeweler for a new battery and resizing (about $20), it was ready to wear!  Amongst the various watches I own, it is truly my personal favorite. 

What are your formulas for chic on the cheap?  I'd love to hear it!  T.