Thursday, March 15, 2012

Green is the New Pink




Today has springtime written all over it—even here in Northwest Ohio.  It’s warm, sunny and my tulips are growing taller by the day! When I think of spring, the color green often comes to mind.  There are a number of possible explanations for this.  Perhaps, I’m envisioning a fresh-cut lawn, budding leaves or simply remembering the crayon from the big box of Crayola’s labeled “Spring Green.”

Yes, spring makes me think of the color green.  But, when I think of the color green, my mind immediately shifts to being environmentally responsible, a value I hold dearly.  I’m an avid recycler, turn off lights and appliances when I’m not using them, and limit the use of my vehicle where possible.  But there’s more…I shop.

“What?” you ask, “does shopping have to do with saving our planet?”  So glad you asked!  Let's start with my wardrobe and how I shop.  Over time, I have built a wardrobe consisting of well-made, treasured staple pieces.  Much of what I own is black, white or beige.  So, my favorite thing to do is jazz up those staples (say a black pencil skirt and fitted white tee) with fabulous accessories.  Enter silk scarves, vintage jewelry, designer belts, etc.  I also like to mix my staples with interesting separates (mostly vintage); for example, a leopard-print tunic, leather blazer or to-die-for wrap dress.  A good deal of my accessories and add-on separates were secured at vintage, thrift, re-sale and consignment shops (these sources offer the most unique quality buys—often at very low prices). 

Now, onto the green of the matter… You see, when I buy vintage, second-hand and resale, I recycle (It all fits nicely into the whole “reduce, reuse and recycle” theme.).  So, buying second-hand (in any form) is responsible as it supports the market for these items (letting the cycle of recycling continue onward!).  And, shopping (responsibly) definitely brings to mind something we femmes are often drawn to—hence, the color pink comes to mind (smile!).

During my recent closet cleaning adventure, I established two stacks of giveaway items: one for donation to the local thrift shop and the other to take and sell at a consignment shop downtown.  This method of weeding out the unwanted saved the county landfill about three large bags of what could have been throw-away items (all of them quite reusable!).  An added bonus: I gave my once-cherished beauties the opportunity to be loved by another (something this re-sale girl can totally relate to!). 

In closing, I’ll say a bit about the lovely brooch pictured above… While dropping off my unwanted clothing at the local consignment shop the other day, I picked up this fab milk glass brooch for $5!  She had a $10 price tag on her but when the shop owner pulled the little sweetie out of the display case, she informed me, “Looks like this one’s 50% off this week.” Oh, and BTW, did I mention that it’s vintage?!?  Who knew being environmentally responsible could be so fun, and that green and pink could compliment each other so well? ;)  T.