Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Indulging in Pleasures Sans Guilt...

Hesitant to admit it, but I adore sipping from this Halloween mug--even when it's not October!

Yesterday, I indulged in a much-needed day away from the 9 to 5.  Amidst approaching deadlines, staffing issues and an assortment of other workplace concerns, I decided to grant myself a vacation day. At first glance, it felt like I was engaging in a guilty pleasure.  Yet, given four recent deaths in my family (I received word of a third uncle's unexpected death over the weekend), and my son's wedding (a lovely, joyous occasion--but certainly a major life event), this day turned out to be anything but a guilty pleasure.  Rather, it was self-therapy of the highest form.

The afternoon was spent primarily decorating the inside of the house for Halloween ('tis the season!).  My morning, however, was purely laden with what I refer to as "guilty pleasures."  Okay--here goes--true confession time...
  • slept in ('til nearly 9 a.m.!)...
  • spent the a.m. in my pj's...
  • stepped onto my patio (in pj's) to snap pics of fall beauty...
  • drank an entire pot of pumpkin flavored java with cream...
  • watched taped episodes of Ghost Whisperer (Yes, I know.  It is somewhat seasonally-appropriate, though.)...
  • nibbled a couple o' pieces of delicious dark chocolate while watching TV... 
  • enjoyed time doing absolutely nothing--simply sat and cuddled Tabitha (beloved diva tabby cat) for a while...
  • allowed myself to have a good cry...
This morning, I felt somewhat renewed, ready to begin again.  Perhaps it was yesterday's pleasures (I'm no longer deeming them to be of the guilty variety...).  

Let's all pledge to engage in at least one totally-therapeutic "guilty" pleasure, today.  Me? I'm not quite sure yet what mine will be, but it will be one I enjoy thoroughly--one that feeds my soul.  Would sure love to hear about yours, though (either today's or your favorite anytime guilty pleasures).

Joy and peace.  T.