Friday, July 12, 2013

Mindfully Enjoying the Path of Self-Reliance

Stepping stone path in my flower garden...

Late yesterday morning, I headed out for a brief work-related meeting in Toledo (roughly 20 miles north).  My destination was a location I’ve traveled to several times before.  It was such a gorgeous day...

Post meeting, as I exited the office building, I realized the street's westbound lane (the one I normally take to get back to Bowling Green) was closed.  The GPS was at home; so, I ventured off in a new direction--with no real idea where I was headed (!!!). 

Interestingly enough, I chose to hang a left at a turn that just “felt right” about a half mile up the way.  The route was wooded with a mystical loveliness to it.  Pretty soon, I found myself driving in what felt like the countryside.  Along the way, I encountered several twists and turns in the road.  Despite the unknown elements, I had no qualms about where I was headed.  Amidst hills, dales, fields, woodlands--all unfamiliar terrain to me--I felt assured I’d chosen the right direction.  It was a peaceful, picturesque drive...

Before too long, I descended a hill, and came upon a busy thoroughfare. It was the same one I had originally hoped to find. 

My luxuriant jaunt was only three to four miles long, but what an interesting expedition it was! Without a doubt, I ended up taking a far more scenic route, and it turned out to be about the same distance--had I driven my usual way back.  Most importantly:  I mindfully savored the path I selected, and relied on my own judgment to get me where I needed to go!

I liken yesterday’s little journey to life itself.  Having faith in our ability to choose the best “road” for ourselves, along with enjoying the ride, itself, makes life memorable and worthwhile.

What’s on your agenda this weekend?  I would love to hear about it! We're headed to Lake Huron on Saturday, and I can't wait!

Joy, peace and happy Friday to you!  T.