Thursday, July 25, 2013

Tips for Dressing Cool in the Heat


It's a bit cooler this week, than last (which was downright hot!).  Okay, up here in northwest Ohio, we are a bit spoiled, as we think it's an oven if the thermostat hits the mid 80's.  Having grown up in southwestern Indiana, where the heat + humidity know no bounds, I realize the concept of a heatwave--as I define it now--is merely a relative thing (smile).

Nevertheless, when the heat hits, I like to keep cool.  Here are a few tips for doing so...


Pair bare legs with nude pumps: Doing so gives a seamless look and a sense of elongated legs.  This look is chic and totally office appropriate.


Tie back your hair: Sometimes, I'll sport a topknot or bun.  At others, I like to pull my hair into a side or traditional pony tail.  Here, a headband is combined with a low knot to achieve a bit of cool from the heat.


Lose the jacket and don a dress shirt in its place. This strategy is a summertime favorite of mine, and still lends itself to a polished look.  It's definitely a more comfortable option when the temperatures rise.


Wear lighter colors. Darker colors will absorb the heat more than lighter ones.  Hence, I typically reach for these softer-toned hues when the dog days strike.


Blouse: Lucky Brand
Belt: J Crew
Shoes: Candies
Watch: Anne Klein
Sunnies: Vera Bradley
Bracelets: Vintage
Glass Beads: Vintage

How do you dress cool when the heat is up?  I'd love to hear about it!

Joy and hugs!  T.