Monday, July 29, 2013

Why I'm Smiling...

Art journal collage (July 27, 2013)

Saturday morning, post my standing breakfast date, downtown, with Mark, I headed out--to a local thrift shop.  This time, I decided to conduct an experiment while browsing. My plan: to mindfully smile at others and see what happens...


Upon entering the store, I passed a woman who appeared to be taking inventory.  I smiled.  She smiled back.  A moment later, while browsing for skirts, I sneezed.  She called out from across the way, "Bless you!" Her sweet words brought me added bliss...


At the checkout, I encountered a woman, who appeared, at first glance, to be very tired.  I shot her a compassionate look + smile.  She seemed to light up as she smiled back.  Pausing for a moment, she then asked, sincerely "How are you, today?"  I told her "Pretty good so far. Thanks," and asked,"How about you?"  She smiled, again, and told me she was doing well; thanking me.


As I was leaving the store, I smiled at two women, entering.  Both smiling back, one of them said, "I like your outfit." I thanked her; once again, smiling--a sense of joyful connectedness in hand.


"Smile, and the whole world smiles back at you."  It's a saying that's been around for awhile.  Yet, there's definitely something to it.


The pics featured throughout are of the two lovely items I snagged that day (I wouldn't even think of ending this story without sharing my finds!)  Anyway, I purchased a lovely, lined wool wrap skirt (Ralph Lauren) for $2.50.  I also bought a leather belt (Land's End) for $1.  Both were in mint condition. Yup, I'm smiling alright--for many a reason!



Joy, peace and a fab Monday to you!  T.