Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Let There be New Growth!

My art journal is a garden of delight!

This past Sunday, I eagerly pulled out my art journal, and intrepidly flipped to the page where my May goals had been sketched.  With a smile still on my face, I drew a flower around a listed dream: Buy + Pot and Repot House Plants.  Doing so signified a task proudly completed.  Hooray!!!

Although it was cool and breezy that day, the sun was shining oh-so-brightly.  This led me to conduct my plant potting project outdoors from one of my front yard’s flower beds.  It was a serene, meditative experience which I thoroughly enjoyed; once I began.  And, the end products…they, too, were truly lovely (I’ve shared a few photos below.)!









Every time I engage in plant repotting, I’m drawn back to a great essay contained within Sarah Ban Breathnach’s “Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy.”  The author recounts how she found one of her potted plants drooping and nearly lifeless: “When I picked it up and looked at its underbelly I saw that its tiny white roots were frantically pushing in a futile attempt to find more breathing space.”  Ban Breathnach notes that plants should be repotted every two years. She further states, “We, too, need to consider repotting for growth.  Her tips for realizing when a personal “repot” is needed include the following:
• When visualization seems to be an impossible task;
• Those days when we “wilt before the day begins;”
• Laughter is something that is vaguely remembered as an event from the past; and
• There is nothing in the next 24 hours to look forward to.
How does a femme figuratively repot her life? Ban Breathnach says, “We don’t have to quit the job or leave the marriage. It just means we need something new.” 
In keeping with this theme, here are a few new’s I incorporated into my own life in the past week:
• Joined a local Toastmasters club.
• Savored Starbucks’ orange blossom tea for the first time (ordered only after finding out no chamomile was available).  Ended up loving the orange blossom tea so much, I bought a whole tin afterwards!
• Meditated in the evening versus the morning (not bad!).
What new’s can you incorporate into your life this week?  Wishing you exciting added growth as you do!  T.