Monday, May 6, 2013

Actions=Going Forth Courageously

Art journal collage celebrating "wild" abandon...
(May 5, 2013)

Poring over magazine images while collaging, I came across a wonderful quote from Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, last evening: "I remembered that the real world was wide, and that a varied field of hopes and fears, of sensations and excitements, awaited those who had courage to go forth into its expanse..."

Sometimes, going forth into the world's expanse doesn't involve much beyond just plain ole action (be it grand or small).  Trust me, I know... For no good reason, yesterday, I sat (post breakfast) filled with thoughts of overwhelm. Seemingly huge deadlines loomed at the 9 to 5.  Guilt beckoned as a result of  the many to do's I needed to tackle here at my own beloved abode. And, an insistent book proposal still was seeking plenty of polish from me...

Inertia gripped me while feelings of angst engulfed.  I decided I could simply marinade in the icky feelings that always coincide with doing nada (and, end up feeling worse about it), or do something.  Sure, there are times when down time is exactly what is required. At others, I instinctively know I need to act (the best indicator of when to act is at those times I encounter feelings like the ones noted above versus feelings of craving rest or stillness).  

Which door did I choose? I chose the latter.  I did something.  Yup, tackled the household chores I had so forcefully been putting off.  Felt so very good afterwards, too.  Renewed energy, a sense of accomplishment, and a feeling of calm ensued.

The book proposal?  Well, perhaps I'll work on it today sometime.  You see, I have granted myself a vacation day from work.  My 9 to 5 deadlines?  I'll meet them--no doubt.  With a fresh perspective, today, I realize there's plenty of time to do so.

Joy, peace and happiest of Mondays to you!  T.