Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sacred Solo Time


Yesterday morning, while at the office, I received an invite from a peer to attend a luncheon, downtown.  It was one where various community leaders (many I know well and truly admire) would gather—some of them fellow friends and business colleagues.  Surely, you know the type of event; where the fountain of small talk consistently flows, and the public persona face must be affixed firmly in place.  Don’t get me wrong--there are days that I would genuinely welcome the opportunity for a lunch out--complete with networking opportunities galore.

Just wasn’t feeling it, yesterday, though.  Deep within was a need to escape the hustle and bustle (albeit for a short period of time) as a means of quietly replenishing my own well.  So, I thanked my dear colleague for the invite, politely declined it, and proceeded to take a much-needed solo lunch break.  My little excursion-for-one lacks any special merit; aside from the fact that it was peaceful, uneventful and exactly what I needed.

Ten years ago, I might have pushed forward; attended this event, despite my inner need to spend quiet time alone.  Since that time, much has changed, however.  Today, this woman fully understands the crucial role her wise, intuitive self plays in keeping her safe, healthy, and whole.  This being the case, my Wise Self’s urgings are the ones I now follow.  This means that I'm doing a whole lot more of what I truly want and need versus what I think I "should" do.

Ever feel the need to be solo?  My recommendation is to follow this wise hunch! T.