Thursday, July 19, 2012

Illuminating Thoughts…

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness.”  --Eleanor Roosevelt


First off, I have to say that I absolutely adore Eleanor Roosevelt.  From everything I’ve read about her; including her own words of wisdom; she appears to have been so very insightful; definitely a woman who was tickled pink! 

The message I get from the quote featured above is to be a part of the solution; not the problem.  Until now, I had never really thought of a candle as a solution.  I do now, though. 

You see, I love lighting candles.  Candlelight at bath time is a nightly ritual, but I also light them when I write, read, dine, prepare meals, tackle household chores.  I lit a candle last evening while enjoying journal writing from my patio.  How very awesome that was; savoring the day's end--in nature and by candlelight.

Candles bring me joy, comfort, calm.  Be it a gifted soy candle from a loved one or a scented jar votive from the dollar store, when I light candles, I feel pampered.  So, it’s easy to see why the simple act of lighting a candle can be elevated to a personal solution of sorts. 

What about you?  What solutions do you seek to keep the “darkness” at bay?  T.