Monday, July 16, 2012

When the Going Gets Tough, Create!

Creating this little "baby" instantly made me smile!

Last week presented a variety of interesting challenges.  No doubt, when this past Saturday arrived, I was fully ready for it.

Problem was, I couldn't put my finger on how to get myself back into the "space" I truly wanted to inhabit (on a figurative level, of course).  Mid-afternoon, I was reading Paper and Ponder, a phenomenal blog, and came upon this fabulous post; which was all about the healing aspects of creative pursuits.  It was exactly what I needed...

Automatically, without even a thought of what I'd do next, I pulled my beloved art journal from its perch atop my desk; along with a bundle of glitter glue pens that were resting in my craft basket.  The next thing I knew, I'd created a lovely flower in preparation for Kimberly Wilson's Summer 2012 Seasonal Podcast, which I had previously purchased and hoped to savor at some point last Saturday afternoon.

Wow! How transformational that simple act of creating something personally special to me was!  It served as the shift I needed to finally (at least on the emotional level) begin my weekend (in the way I needed and wanted).

The next time you're in a rut, funk or any other place you don't want to be in, consider grabbing a pen and paper, your art journal or a coloring book and crayons.  I can say, firsthand, that it's a highly effective, very positive change mechanism.

Joy and peace!  T.