Friday, July 13, 2012

Yoga Reflections…

From my art journal...

My love of yoga is certainly no secret.  It’s a spiritual practice I cherish dearly; primarily due to the following reasons:
  • Yoga has increased my flexibility in body, mind and spirit.  
  • It has taught me how to use my breath to both relax and focus myself; which also allows me to live more often in the present moment.  
  • Every time I am on my mat, I fully understand that I am spending quality time with myself.  
Recently, I returned to yoga class after being away from it for nearly three weeks.  In my opinion, that is far too long.  However, I did sprinkle a bit of home-based yoga practice in--along the way. 

I have been practicing yoga for almost three years now (Hatha tradition).  Although I’ve stayed with the same teacher and class this entire time, I have also independently explored other traditions as well (mostly Yin and Vinyasa).  Attending drop-in classes, while traveling, has always turned out to be a pleasant experience.  I have also used added resources to further my practice; buying myself a variety of books, videos and CDs.  My favorite between videos and CDs is CDs as they enable me to rely on myself rather than something in front of me (video screen).  That’s been quite empowering… 

A few weeks ago, I rendered my second speech at a Toastmasters Club meeting.  It was entitled, "My Yoga Journey: Past, Present and Future."  Public speaking or not, I really had fun with it.  Yoga is a topic I am passionate about; making it easy to talk about it publicly.

Fellow yoginis, I'd love to hear your personal reflections on this subject so near & dear!  T.