Tuesday, March 26, 2013

On Spiritualism, Attitude and Showing Up

To the snow and busyness, I say, "Om!"

Yesterday was Monday, and a busy, snowy one at that.  Two back-to-back meetings, a series of undone tasks pushed forward to today's projects list, and the sense that it was early January versus late March--that was my Monday (9 to 5) in a nutshell...

Exiting my office, headed to the parking lot, my first thought was one I've never had until last evening: "Think I'll skip yoga class, tonight."  It was something I wrestled with--as there was no real reason for my feeling this way--other than it had been a long day...

As I entered my vehicle, to head home, I heard birds (what sounded like a whole multitude of them) cheerily singing.  My first thought was, "With all these birds chirping, you'd think it was a beautiful spring day."  I quickly stopped myself, and decided, "Hey...snow,  seemingly insurmountable workload and all, it is."

Driving home, I remembered something I'd read Sunday afternoon.  Author Linda Carroll (in her book Remember Who You Are: Seven Stages on a Woman's Journey of Spirit, had written, "Once we have committed ourselves to spiritual practice, the first thing we must do is follow through with action."   In fact, she had termed it as "showing up."  Plain and simple...

You have likely guessed what happened next...  Between my shift in attitude, and realization that, if ever I needed to engage in a spiritual practice, last evening was (no doubt) the time, I ended up attending yoga class.  All I can say is  I'm glad for both my shift in attitude, and the fact I showed up for myself after all (smile).

Joy and peace and Om.  T.