My growth journal and a program from last Monday eve's event...
This past Monday evening, I had the privilege of hearing Gloria Steinem deliver the keynote address at a local fundraising gala I attended. Wearing a long black vintage dress and adorned with layers of faux pearls, my "edged in bright pink" growth journal was in tow and very much a part of my semi-formal ensemble (smile). (A past post defining my growth journal and its use may be accessed here.)
I met up with a few girlfriends at the event and they literally raved at the idea of my bringing a growth journal along. Mind you, I didn't write down everything Ms. Steinem said. I did, however, capture the thoughts that most resonated with me. Here are a few of the gems I captured that evening:
- Social justice is shared story telling. It's about each of us telling our own stories.
- The women's equality movement isn't over!
- Every cause undertaken is linked to addressing something else equally as important. Linkages are so very important.
- The solution to stimulating the economy? Pay women wages commensurate with our counterparts. This puts more money into the economy. We women know how to spend it!
- It is transformational for women to be strong.
- The Iroquois Indians have no words to describe "nature" or "gender." Humans are one with nature. Everyone is equal.
- The ballot box is one place we all equally have a voice.
- Why does our system see more value in the harvested tree than the one in the ground?
- Adopt this worldview: "Everyone matters."
So glad I was in attendance that night--with growth journal in hand (more smiles!). Joy, peace & growth! T.