Friday, September 14, 2012

Artful Living: Rocking Style Creatively


In true tickled pink fashion, I let my creativity come out to play each day.  One of my favorite quotes is by author Alexandra Stoddard, "Make living as an art your quest, your personal mission." One way I strive to do this is through dress.  Fittingly (no pun intended), this post is dedicated to creative ways to style this fall.

Don't you love the sweet vintage flower scarf above?  I bought this one on Etsy for $6.  It arrived just a few days ago.  It can be worn with the flower close to the neck choker syle and the tail trailing over the shoulder and down the back, with the flower part at mid-chest like a necklace, or even as a belt. I can also don it as a headband!  This one piece is going to allow my inner artist lots of playtime this autumn--no doubt.


A long necklace can be worn in a variety of ways.  Of course, there’s the traditional manner (simply clasped and worn long). Lately, however, I’ve been wrapping my long necklaces around a time or two; then clasping.  This lends itself to an almost choker-like appearance.  Want something really creative? Wear your long strand as a belt!  Sure wish I could take credit for this one, but I can’t.  This fun inspiration came from Jessica Quirk’s fab book, What I Wore: Four Seasons, One Closet, Endless Recipes for Personal Style.


Shake it up a bit.  Sport a leather jacket (sleeves pushed up) with a little black dress.  Toss your jean jacket over your shoulders while showcasing a vintage taffeta gown.  You can certainly go smaller-scale with this, too (e.g. wear ballet flats with a pencil skirt).  Doing the unexpected, in terms of fashion, is very French according to Ines de la Fressange, author of another great read, Parisian Chic: A Style Guide


Add a statement piece to a simple outfit (for example, a white tee shirt + black trumpet skirt).  A brightly-colored vintage scarf, chunky art deco necklace, leopard-print hat, show-stopping belt… All are great examples of classic statement pieces. 

Living your art includes the look you rock.  With that in mind, let the good times roll! 

Friday joy to you!  T.

Looking for past posts related to style/fashion?  Click here, here, here and here.