Saturday, December 22, 2012

Cornflake Macaroons: A Recipe for Joy

Mimi's cornflake macaroons=a recipe for joy!

In anticipation of our family’s holiday festivities next week, I’ve found myself recently poring over a collection of holiday recipes we have accumulated throughout the years.  There is one that is so near and dear to me--I simply had to share it. 

A number of years ago, while visiting my Mimi (maternal grandmother), I requested a copy of her recipe for cornflake macaroons.  Subsequently, she mailed it to me--handwritten, on a lovely holiday recipe card (see photo above).  On the back of the card, she even penned a precious, heartfelt note, which closes: "I hope you have a wonderful Xmas and much happiness in the New Year.  I love all of you. Mimi."


The back of the recipe card contains a lovely, hand-written note!

This simple little recipe card has brought me immeasurable joy--year after year--each holiday season.  In a sense, it brings my Mimi back to me in a very treasured way--every time I read it.    

What is your recipe for joy? Perhaps, it is recollecting a cherished holiday memory. Maybe it is sacred time spent with loved ones. It could be a time-honored tradition carried out each year.

Please share as I would adore hearing it!  Of course, I couldn't close this post without sharing my Mimi's yummy recipe for cornflake macaroons (shown below).  Hope you enjoy!

Joy & peace, T.

Cornflake Macaroons

2 egg whites beaten stiff
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups cornflakes
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 cup coconut
1 tsp. (pure) vanilla

Add sugar to beaten egg whites, and beat well.  Add vanilla, cornflakes, nuts and coconut.

Drop from Tbsp. onto foil-lined pan.  Bake for about 10 minutes at 325 degrees.