Pink roses in full bloom in November (in northwest Ohio!)
Saturday evening, Mark and I enjoyed dinner out at an uber-cool pub located on the local college campus (I must admit I have a total obsession with their black bean burgers with California-style dressings (fresh avocado included)!). Afterwards, we decided to walk over to the planetarium to see if we could pick up a schedule of upcoming events being offered there.
As we stepped outside of the Student Union, I let out a squeal of delight. Although it was dark, I enjoyed seeing an expansive rose garden (all pink) in nearly full bloom. Mind you, we've had frost and cooler temps pretty consistently since early October--up here. Nevertheless, there they were--shrub upon shrub containing awesome blooming pink roses--nearly running the length of the building.
What this sight served to do was to, metaphorically, was remind me that despite whatever proverbial climate I may encounter from time-to-time (e.g. adversity, toxic folks (a.k.a. mean people), challenges, etc.), I (like these lovely roses) can still bloom (meaning: grow, prosper, let my beauty blossom forth, shine my brightest, etc.).
Sitting down with art journal, in hand, Saturday night, I came up with a few ways to ensure my bloom endures, no matter what climate I may encounter. Here are a few of my ideas for doing so:
- carry the proverbial big umbrella (in case someone tries to rain on my parade);
- be my own she-ro;
- welcome life's challenges;
- embrace Don Miguel Ruiz's The Four Agreements;
- laugh at any problems I may encounter;
- push forward despite any setbacks encountered;
- as in holding a yoga pose, savor the "burn"when experiencing challenges;
- despite the barriers, cross the finish line;
- every day, shine brightly;
- show up for myself;
- in every instance, choose love over fear;
- in trying times, look for the lessons;
- give gratitude frequently;
- find each cloud's silver lining;
- fill life's "gaps" with self-nurturing;
- seek spiritual support (for me it's often yoga, deep breathing, stillness);
- avidly pursue my dreams;
- establish daily intentions;
- hone my gifts; and
Despite the cold and gray (and other "climate" issues you may encounter), let yourself continue to bloom! Joy and peace to you. T.